162 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Jul 06, 2011, 19:21
Rhiannon wrote:
Oh yes, obvious it's unlikely, I give you that :)

And I know it's obvious to say you know you're feeling weird because you're doing the feeling weird. But we're complicated creatures and half the time we haven't got a clue what's triggering the feeling, it's just the conscious end product of subconscious things like air pressure, cheese biscuits, whatever. So to try and tease out something even more obscure that could be affecting us.. it's a bit much really. All you have is that weird feeling. It's not much use for a scientific test because it doesn't give you much idea about what varieties of Thing you should be looking at and trying to correlate with your sensation.

I agree with this .. my own little anecdote about my 'odd' mood when I first visited Stoney Littleton could have been attributed to several external factors, all personal to myself. I won't go into all of them here, I've already mentioned suffering from claustrophobia. When I thought about it later (and forgive me for personalising it) I remembered I had nightmares as a young child about being buried alive (stemming I think from something I saw on tv) so it stands to reason that going inside such a confined space as Stoney Littleton might trigger these long forgotten childish fears.

Maybe we should divert this thread to 'when were you most physically uncomfortable at an ancient site'. Mine would definitely be visiting Sunkenkirk back in May this year. The (walking) friend I was holidaying with decided we should do a five mile hike first - led me into a bog, hemmed in by barbed wire so we had to retace our steps through the bog. Feet soaking wet, I was determined to get to the stone circle - by the time we got there I was wet, cold, hungry and dying for a wee. A wonderful place though and worth all the discomfort.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index