364 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Our Sacred Land
Sep 07, 2011, 05:37
thesweetcheat wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
The fact is that... Callanish (an awesome Indian gentleman) and Boscawen-un (a rather funky black mohican dude) excepted... I've not seen any non-white faces at the c1000 prehistoric sites I've visited in these Isles. Why not? Is it because the 'minorities' within the UK do not have a Julian Cope to speak to them?

To be fair, you haven't seen anyone at quite a lot of those thousand sites. I've seen people from many plenty of ethnic backgrounds at Avebury, and at Men an Tol. Some of them were tourists, mind. But prehistory is largely a closed book to the vast majority of people in this country, even "well-educated" people who frankly should know better, but prefer shopping and Strictly. Julian Cope doesn't, regretfully, speak to most of them.

There's a whole lot of education missing all round, not just in those people who've come here from abroad. In fact, a lot of immigrants have probably got a better level of knowledge than people whose families have been here for 500 years, because they've tried to learn something about the country they're coming to. And if their efforts at research haven't extended to prehistory, perhaps that's because it's missing from most people's education here anyway. Plenty of "English" people don't know who Winston Churchill was, or Charles Darwin, or IK Brunel, or Isaac Newton.

Often visitors of all nations at Stonehenge.....and many visit Cissbury too.....whilst the "locals" there seem to view Cissbury as a free BMX track or massive dog toilet!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index