Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gwass
193 posts

Re: Our Sacred Land
Sep 06, 2011, 11:17
blossom wrote:
Gwass wrote:
Thanks June.

I agree whole heartedly. Unfortunately the politicians signed away any right to limit movement from within the EU. It's clear that our infrastructure isn't able to cope with the numbers here so everyone suffers. Also why allow hundreds of thousands of economic migrants when we have 3million unemployed? It's crazy they're just joining the dole queue straight away.

I know there are bigger problems than just our love of the countryside and particularly prehistory but it demonstartes how overpopulation affects so many things and aspects of life. I read that we need c100,000 new houses per year for the next 25 yrs (don't quote me on that) to cope with the numbers of people arriving. How that isn't going to have an impact on our countryside & therefore threaten ancient sites is beyond me.

We need brave people to tackle the situation propperly as it needs to be rather than small minded people stifling any debate with ideological & false cries of racism.

I don't want to get into a debate about whether someone is being rascist or not but do feel that there is a lot of myth surrounding economic migrants and would just like to correct an error you made.
These are the rules regarding economic migrants and "dole" as you called it.

What about entitlement to benefits?
Migrant Workers
The rules are complicated and can be different for different groups and nationalities. Foreign nationals are not entitled to benefits when they are seeking work, unless they have already worked here and are temporarily unemployed. Citizens from the A8 countries for example, become entitled to benefits and housing if they are self-employed here, or if they have a job and register with the Workers Registration Scheme. Once they have been working lawfully for a year they no longer have to register when changing jobs and they become eligible for benefits when temporarily out of work as well as when working.

Thanks for your comments Blossom. However I feel I have to pick up on this point. When you said "I don't want to get into a debate about whether someone is being rascist or not"

I have to say that's part of the problem. If you read my comments there clearly wasn't anything there that could possibly be construed as racism. So by refusing to denounce me being called a racist is slightly adding to the problem.

People should stand up and take sides in this instance I feel as racism is vile & disgusting. So being labelled a racist therefore is also vile & disgusting as it is suggesting that I am vile & disgusting.

The majority of immigration is from within the EU which is predominantly white so being white myself and questioning the value of that can hardly be called racist. I never made a distinction on race at all.

Re benefits, you may be right, but i do know that councils are legally obliged to house people hence the huge cost monetarily and to our countryside to build the thousands of extra homes a year which are needed.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index