Pages: 37 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2011, 08:45
Our Sacred Land
Sep 05, 2011, 08:11
The battle to save our forests never went away as we know, and now the gauntlet is really down. Our Sacred inheritance. Our land. Our Right.

Let's all get out their as much as we can, individually and on mass.
Even when they force this through, let us all keep laying claim to our ancient living Cultural heritage.

New Houses and Communities for the relentless and recklessly out of control expanding and endlessly consuming population. Yippee. Well fuck 'em. They can build over my bones, and I'll have a middle finger one thrust defiantly aloft up through the Tarmac in the Supermarket Car Park. A place of brief respite for a passing Sparrow, at least.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-to-press-ahead-with-planning-reforms-2349548.html
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2011, 09:17
Re: Our Sacred Land
Sep 05, 2011, 08:12
The Sea Cat wrote:
The battle to save our forests never went away as we know, and now the gauntlet is really down. Our Sacred inheritance. Our land. Our Right.

Even when they force this through, let us all keep laying claim to our ancient living Cultural heritage.

New Houses and Communities for the relentless and recklessly out of control expanding and endlessly consuming population. Yippee. Well fuck 'em. They can build over my bones, and I'll have a middle finger one thrust defiantly aloft up through the Tarmac in the Supermarket Car Park. A place of brief respite for a passing Sparrow, at least.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-to-press-ahead-with-planning-reforms-2349548.html

It's scary. How many more battles are to be fought is the question to be asked. We do need more reasonably priced housing for more people though, and of course social housing for many others. They try it on the conservatives every time they are in power and the developer's unscrupulous con tricks are part of the rationale.

There were sparrows in our local supermarket this morning, flying around happily;)

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/story-13263865-detail/story.html
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 08:12
The Sea Cat wrote:

It does say:-
Protections for the green belt, national parks and areas of outstanding beauty would continue SC, so with continued pressure on them of a sensible kind I think there is a good chance of major catastrophies being avoided.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 08:29
It made me laugh (bitterly) that on the radio this morning they said it was about 'young people's prosperity and future'. My arse it is, it's about relaxing planning permission so massively rich people can make lots of money by building crap houses on places where they weren't allowed to before. Besides, from my perspective as someone who earns a reasonable wage but can't see how they could ever buy a house, these new houses are either going to be pokey flimsy barely-affordable 'starter homes' or they're going to get rented out by rich buy-to-letters to mugs like me, while their so-called 'value' heads ever skywards. Yeah that's really helping young people. I'm not even a bloody young person. This Country Is Going To The Dogs. It makes me feel tired.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 08:48
Rhiannon wrote:
It made me laugh (bitterly) that on the radio this morning they said it was about 'young people's prosperity and future'. My arse it is, it's about relaxing planning permission so massively rich people can make lots of money by building crap houses on places where they weren't allowed to before. Besides, from my perspective as someone who earns a reasonable wage but can't see how they could ever buy a house, these new houses are either going to be pokey flimsy barely-affordable 'starter homes' or they're going to get rented out by rich buy-to-letters to mugs like me, while their so-called 'value' heads ever skywards. Yeah that's really helping young people. I'm not even a bloody young person. This Country Is Going To The Dogs. It makes me feel tired.

Seacat, I agree with every syllable, and Rhiannon, the country makes me tired too. Every ten or fifteen years sufficient voters come to the fore who don't recall what these people are like and what their agenda is.

The green belt may or may not be safe but there are vast tracts of non-green belt land of huge amenity value that's going to be pounced on. There are plenty of unattractive tracts that could be used for new housing, the government knows that perfectly well, but their mates want to get hold of the nice bits.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2011, 09:21
Sep 05, 2011, 09:20
I couldn't disagree more. It's the thin end of deliberate wedge that can't be challenged. A little bit here, let's just change that there..It's an entirely cynical exercise in my opinion. Stealth. It's always the same, 'slight' changes create a gradual but definite change in priorities and public perception, and then it's too late to stop the momentum that's been set in motion.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 10:02
nigelswift wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

Seacat, I agree with every syllable, and Rhiannon, the country makes me tired too. Every ten or fifteen years sufficient voters come to the fore who don't recall what these people are like and what their agenda is.

The green belt may or may not be safe but there are vast tracts of non-green belt land of huge amenity value that's going to be pounced on. There are plenty of unattractive tracts that could be used for new housing, the government knows that perfectly well, but their mates want to get hold of the nice bits.

Absolutely. If they put the cash into developing brown field sites then shortage of housing wouldn't be a problem. This is lazy greed and typical tory cow-towing to the rich property developers. why think of our heritage in the future if you can make a killing now?
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 10:04
Yes, I'm just printing my Stage II complaint against the Northumberland planners - five miles of road in upland Northld. with no planning permssion yet they turn down an application for an adapted bungalow in a grot village (beside a lost long barrow) because it doesn't comply with the AONB development plan.

Both the Northwest and the Northeast passages are currently open - which means the icecaps are melting at a fantastic rate. It's perhaps never happened before that both are passable (with care). So, one could argue that a right wing government is needed to distribute food fairly (for work) when the shortages start to come. (I'll be pushing up the daisies by then so can take a more detached view perhaps).

When people complain about saving Britain's green and beautiful land where were they when the motorways were being built? Or the high density urban estates? It seems a bit late now!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 10:05
I agree with you wholeheartedly Sea Cat; I've always thought of the land where nature is allowed to flourish without interference as being 'sacred'. Often there are other aspects like history/prehistory that can be employed to protect it. Along with others, I've mentioned the long ongoing fight to save the land around Coate Water in Swindon from development. The battle has been going on for nearly a decade and earlier this year Swindon Borough Council once again refused the Developers appeal. However, Developers do not take no for an answer (in spite of a petition with 55,000 signatures) they are coming back in November to appeal again. A leading light in this campaign was interviewed in The Times on Saturday but unfortunately I wasn't able to get hold of a copy.

There is another stretch of green land known as the Front Garden which lies between Swindon and the motorway - the fight to protect this land was lost and it is now covered with box like houses that no-one wants to live in because of their proximity to the motorway. No doubt there will be people desparate for homes that will live there but myself, I'd rather live in a caravan.

I've also mentioned the Ramblers Association in a recent thread - perhaps they don't sound very rock and roll but they do work tirelessly to protect rights of way which would otherwise just disappear. Their current campaign is to progress the Marine and Coastal Access Act passed in 2009 - a legislation which would have allowed the designation of a continuous route for walkers along the entire coast of England. This present government is fast backtracking and if allowed to do so will delay the designation of the new route indefinitely.

Here's to the wrens, sparrows, blackbirds etc of our hedgerows - long may their song be heard.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 10:28
tjj wrote:
Here's to the wrens, sparrows, blackbirds etc of our hedgerows - long may their song be heard.

Well said.
Pages: 37 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index