Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Prehistoric stone row - or collapsed modern wall?

117 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: a whinger writes
Mar 11, 2005, 20:46
> There are rivers and natural rock features
> in the papery tma.

Pish and tish! Just 'cos they're in the book doesn't mean it's right.

;-)#

Seriously though, Julian (gawd bless 'im) made his own judgements about what to include in the book, and he made them on a case by case basis. One man, one vision etc. He pays for this gaff, but I don't share his views on all things. Here on the web site we do not move 'as one'.

The problem with us all chucking wells on the site, willy nilly (I jest... a bit) is that there are plenty of wells that have been created (or in the case of springs have come into use) in the last 2000 years. Population growth alone would suggest that at least a fair chunk of wells that can't be dated are likely to be less than 2000 years old.

Also, does a spring just have to have existed during prehistoric times to be included? Surely some sort of evidence that it was used would make it more valid. Extra points for votive offerings. If it only has to have possibly (maybe) existed prehistorically, then we should introduce categories for 'rivers', 'scree slopes' and 'muddy places where people might have walked sometimes'.

If it's that difficult to distinguish a prehistoric well from a more modern well, then who is to decide what's what? If the well has a cup marked stone next to it, a chariot burial and a stone circle, well maybe we should give it the benefit of the doubt. Most of 'em just have some interesting folklore (and a 'mysterious' air about them).

I'm being flippant, but there's a serious point in there somewhere. I think our flag system should reflect whether or not there is proof that a site had prehistoric use (or whatever cut of point Julian decides).

K x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index