Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Prehistoric stone row - or collapsed modern wall?

117 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

a whinger writes:
Mar 10, 2005, 10:24
just to put my oar in:
Well, "enkidu41" I hardly think your message is a polite introduction to this forum. Some might consider it trolling.

But anyway.
Some people would say there's a continuum between misunderstood genius and 'eccentricity' and madness. Think of Van Gogh, Stonelifter, was he appreciated in his time? No. And scientific revolutions happen after years and years of people sticking to the same old paradigms unable to see further than the dogma that the once shiny and new ideas have become. Burn the heretics.

Ok, I haven't been to see any of Stonelifter's purported ancient traces. But hardly has anyone else. It's (apparently) not as though he's producing these theories out of thin air - he at least claims to have a better understanding of stoneworking methods than other people: perhaps this should be given some credit. And he's out there looking for alignments - something that's easy to talk about and think about, but how many people actually try it practically?

There's nothing like actually being at a particular place to see its position in the landscape - a few photos on tma don't really cut it. Just because something doesn't feature in the local Official Stone Monuments Record doew that mean it doesn't really exist?? Of course not, things get discovered all the time. I'm not saying everything Stonelifter proposes should be treated with the same certaintly as Stonehenge. But surely they could be seen as a useful point of discussion. Why exactly is person A so sure they're prehistoric while person B thinks it's a fallen-down wall? Wouldn't this help everyone to be more aware about what they're looking at in their own locality?

I'm not arguing with the wisdom of the editors, I'm not saying this website should be stuffed full of speculative sites as it could get out of hand (and I've pulled a few dodgy things I've posted myself). But nothing ever progressed without someone with a bit of vision.

(makes irritating 'whatever' shrug). I'll get my coat now.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index