The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
How Did It Happen To You?

104 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wild Wooder
216 posts

Re: Killing the Cat
Jun 14, 2005, 13:09
I'd always been drawn to things of the past. When I was young, castles were fun but as I grew older standing stones took on a fascination. They seemed to be a connection with….what? This stayed with me for many years, reinforced by the odd programme on telly, a continuing love of the English countryside and even fantasy fiction and Time Team.
Then in 2001 I was made redundant (b*******s!) Mrs Wild Wooder suggested that while looking around for a new job I did an evening class in something interesting to keep meself occupied. So we trotted up to Alton College on their open night and Lo! and Behold! - info about their A level course for adults in Archaeology. I must have looked interested because a lovely lady called Avril jumped out at me and introduced herself as the tutor. She chatted on about Religion and Ritual in the prehistoric and I was captivated, by the subject as well as by Avril. Anyway, two years later I'd passed AS and A2 and had my eyes opened to the wonders of our past.
In her opening address to us students, Avril said something which has stayed with me and, although she didn't know it, underlines Mr Cope's crusade. "Don't just assume that Ancient Civilisation means Ancient Greece of Egypt. There was a civilisation in the distant past just down the road from here." We were taken to Avebury and had our eyes opened to mysteries beyond our experience.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index