How Did It Happen To You?

104 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: How Did It Happen To You?
Aug 20, 2003, 22:56
Had always been vaguely & passively fascinated with Stonehenge - never went there or read anything about it but was always really interested when it 'came up'.

Thought the 'Teardrops' were OK at the time, despite the fact I was almost exclusively into heavy rock & other 70s rock. Same goes for early Cope singles - never heard the albums at the time. Had a friend in the early 90s who was a big fan and kept promising to play me stuff, but it never happened.

Then I started seeing a lass who lived in London & was vaguely interested in all sorts of 'ancient earth mystery', 'occult', 'supernatural' etc (you know the stuff) including a bit of interest in stones.

She also liked Julian, though she only had Kilimanjaro, and she used to get the cool megalithic postcards. She bought me Peggy Suicide, which I loved.

We both liked walking in the country, so we started going on hols to places where we could do a nice walk that would take in some stones. Mainly in Cornwall, Devon & the west country in general.

First megalith I can remember is the Merry Maidens but there may have been something before....

I went to see Julian at Shepherd's Bush at the time of 20 Mothers and at the 'Newbury By-Pass' gig. (Bought just about everything he's ever done & have seen him live at every opportunity since.)

These holidays and those Shepherd's Bush gigs are what got me hooked on the stones and Julian - more or less simultaneously.

Carried on visiting sites & I moved back to Leeds. I can remember the frustration of waiting for 'Julian's Stones Book' to come out & bought it the day it hit the shops.

It was even better than I expected and turned an interest into an obsession. (Like 4W, I do 'obsession' much better than I do 'interest'!!!)

I've now seen hundreds of sites all over the UK (handy having a Scottish partner for around 10 years) plus 2 visits to Brittany/Carnac and one very unsatisfactory (from a stones point of view) trip to County Cork.

That's about it

love

Moth
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index