104 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pure joy
pure joy
334 posts

Re: How Did It Happen To You?
Aug 21, 2003, 00:18
A mixture of things for me.

Lived on the edge of the countryside most of my life, went to agricultural shows, liked walking, photography, and the great outdoors. Taken to Stonehenge as a kid (have obligatory pics of my brothers climbing over the stones – sorry!) but can’t say that had any bearing on later life.

History was always my favourite and best subject at school, continuing onto a degree in Modern History. I hated studying older history (couldn’t relate to it at all) but did like visiting castles and the like.

In 1988 I set up a Teardrop Explodes and Julian Cope fanzine called ‘Pure Joy’, which ran for 8 issues (until 1991/2), so I had a big Copey link from an early age.

First places I visited purely because they were ancient sites were a few local sites (Stanton Drew, Avebury etc) and some Anglesey sites in 1993. First book I had was Janet & Colin Bord’s ‘A Guide to Ancient Sites in Britain’, which I still think is a decent book, especially for 1978.

So my interest in ancient sites pre-dates TMA, however Julian’s book has certainly led me to visit more, and plan holidays and pit-stops around places to visit! And then I discovered this website (pretty late on), and wow, little did I realise that there was so much stuff more out there and so many people who cared so much about them.

TMA website rocks! Peace to you all.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index