104 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: How Did It Happen To You?
Aug 20, 2003, 09:18
I came to it quite slowly

....As very little girl in the 1960s, my Dad took us to Stonehenge. We parked at the roadside and simply walked up right up to the stones. I remember being totally intrigued, walking in and out of the stones, craning my head back looking up at these massive slabs and then my Dad saying, 'oh and they shifted some of these rocks all the way from Wales.... '

Later, as a teenager in the late 70s and early 80s, I became very interested in the Rollrights.... and I stumbled upon Castlerigg whilst on hols in the Lakes. The seeds were planted. In my 20s I discovered Avebury and Uffington. My (then) husband and me used to like taking our (then) babies on picnics to these places. We got really into crop circles in 1991/2. It all took off from there.

It had nothing to do with Mr Cope at all. I did rush out to buy a copy of 'Kilimanjaro' in 19wheneveritwas. I don't have it now. I don't have any of his music. I still LOVE 'Reward'.

I discovered TMA <the book> on Valentine's Day in 1998 or 1999 (can't remember which now) when me and my bloke went down to Avebury for the weekend. A chap behind the bar at the Red Lion told me about it. I was really intrigued that ex-new-waver Copie had got into archaeology! I remember finding it in The Henge Shop and flicking through it hungrily. Couldn't afford it. I had my eye on it for years! Treaclechops got her copy the following Christmas. I was SO envious! I didn't actually get a copy of my own until September 2001 when it was given to me as a 'leaving gift' from my last job.

I'm not ashamed to say that in many ways it has changed my life. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
J
x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index