The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
How Did It Happen To You?

104 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Re: How Did It Happen To You?
Aug 20, 2003, 11:37
Hmm, interesting question but I’m not sure I know the answer.
When I was I kid my parents would always visit castles, stately homes or other historical locations when on holiday including Stonehenge and Uffington which were an interesting way of passing a few hours but that’s about all, but I suppose it gave me an interest in history.
In the late 80’s I was spending a lot of time with travellers and ‘ippies which included a trip to Stonehenge for the solstice in 88 (I think). The next year I was up at a gathering in the Lake District and we popped into Castlerigg, I can’t remember it having an effect at the time but it must have done as I later got a book on ancient sites and started visiting places like Stanton Moor, Arbor Low and Rudston, so it just sort of crept up on me from there. Over the years I’ve dragged various girlfriends off to sites but megalithing was always a solitary kind of activity as I didn’t know anybody else who was interested, until I found TMA. It was nice to realise I wasn’t the only person whose idea of a ‘good time’ was tramping miles through mud and mire on a wet weekend just to look at a pile of old rocks or bumps of earth.
Don’t know about anybody else but I’ve certainly spent more time visiting sites since joining TMA but sometimes it gets a bit obsessive. I only realised how much when I was in a nightclub a few weeks ago and after spending the night chatting up a woman did I ask her out for a meal? –no. Did I ask her if she wanted to go the cinema sometime? –no. Did I ask her if she wanted to go and look at some round barrows? – ohhh yes. I honestly thought she might be interested ;-)

So thinking about it, it was probably Castlerigg what done it for me, yer honour, I claim diminished responsibility.

-Chris
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index