How Did It Happen To You?

104 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IronMan
IronMan
601 posts

Re: How Did It Happen To You?
Aug 20, 2003, 10:39
Well... I've been a mountain walker for as long as I can remember (most of my holidays as a kid were spent in a cottage in the Lakes). I was obsessed with it right from the start, and so as soon as I could drive I spent most weekends on Cumbrian mountain tops. Along the way, if you spend any amount of time in the coutryside, you start to notice these strange lumps, bumps and stones...

Another life long obsession has been music. I've been a fan of Coil since the 80s, and so when they started to mention these strange sites, my interest was well and truly aroused.

And then there was this Cope fella. I'd dipped into his stuff before - I had bought Interpreter (for the Coil/Thighpaulsandra connection) the day it came out, but didn't take to it and so it was duly returned the next day - but I had also bought a copy of his Krautrocksampler, a truly indispensable guide, and just knew that TMA would be good. I didn't realise it would (as Jane has already said) be life-changing...

Before being given TMA (as a 30th birthday present by my mum) I'd visited a few sites (Stonehenge, Castlerigg, Capel Garmon and a few more obscure ones) but the book just really opened it all up for me - I'd not realised just how many sites there were and more importantly the connections between them. Mountains took a back seat for a while, and I became utterly obsessed with the stones.

I'm now back up the mountains, and happily splitting my time between these twin obsessions. I've spent the past six months (apart from a trip to Cornwall) mostly revisiting sites, trying to take them in at a slower pace, trying to soak up the atmosphere more. My next major stone plans are to get up to Callanish, Aberdeen and the Orkneys and then to get back over to Ireland. Maybe then I'll get over to France (courtesy of my Angers based auntie) and dip my toes into the world of the European sites.

As for Cope's music, I started to snap bits up here and there after getting TMA (including the wonderful Interpreter) and would now consider myself a 'fan' :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index