Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: The finished circle
Aug 06, 2012, 20:15
nigelswift wrote:
bladup wrote:
i know my rights i don't have to tell anybody,[for them to put them in some draw somewhere and then get lost], i,ve never moved a thing, most finds are from ploughed fields and i'm been shown where people used to live, you have metel detectorists digging and wrecking all over and you say this to me, you want me to leave it for the next person to pick up---like you would......you've got as pompous as him now.

I'm afraid all that simply shows being pretty hostile towards book-learning doesn't make you well informed. I won't go on in detail about why you should report finds but suffice to say -

"i know my rights i don't have to tell anybody"
- no-one said you do. It's voluntary. (But socially responsible.)

"for them to put them in some draw somewhere and then get lost"
No, you get a receipt and they're given back. I wouldn't mind betting not one in a ten thousand has ever been lost by PAS.

"most finds are from ploughed fields"
So what? Precise spatial data is still valuable.

"you have metel detectorists digging and wrecking all over and you say this to me"
Actually, 30% of detectorists DO report their finds and are therefore doing the right thing to a greater extent than you!

That last statement is a joke right?? 70% don't because they've probably just wrecked somewhere, i've never even moved a stone just taken off the surface, everything has os numbers , i know where everything comes from and so will whoever ends up with them, i would let people know , but when i deal with people like that it all goes pearshaped, as you well know- they would no doubt tell me something rubbish and i would have to believe them because they're supposed experts and me an idiot, no thanks.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index