209 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Kaipath's weblog post & the Cachers.
Jan 23, 2003, 23:36
Hello folks,

I totally missed Wednesday's Geocaching freakout, being out on a job without net access all day.

I've just seen Kaipath's fantastically-dramatic weblog post and it struck me that s/he might not realise where a great deal of the bile s/he and his lovely friends experienced came from, simply because they probably weren't up early enough.

On Tuesday, NightcacherDan posted a couple of thinly-veiled ads for buckscaching.co.uk, including their logo in the post. I deleted these from the posts, but left in what little substance remained. I hoped he'd get the message that such posts weren't welcomed.

He didn't.

At 7:30am on Wednesday morning I logged on to the MA to see 50+ posts doing exactly the same thing. Among these posts, to pad out the adverts, were 18th century churches, crop circles and some photos he clearly didn't have permission to use (i.e. crediting Bucks C.C. isn't quite the same as getting permission). At the same time, he & Pid had started the Geocaching thread on the forum. I thought we were being swamped by the stuff, and as I wasn't going to be online for the rest of the day I thought best to just ban them immediately.

So, when FourWinds reacted with such vigour to their posts, it was two-fold. It wasn't JUST lashing out at the NightCachers for doing what they do (though I am in agreement that there was enough concern for this to be justified), but for assuming they could come and do it HERE, and use the MA as a place to leave more clues. Kaipath certainly seemed to miss this point. Fair enough, I guess, as I'd already deleted their posts.

I think in this situation, the sentiment of FUCK RIGHT OFF was entirely justifed, even aside from the potential site damage that we were concerned about. And it's a sentiment I'd personally like to extend to all the abusive/defensive geocachers who have felt particularly hard-done-by in this thread. If the reaction you got here upset you then maybe you should be ticking off the spammers you have within your ranks, and not forcing your opinions or "sports" on other communities.

I've read (most of) the posts in this thread, and many over at geocaching.com too. Aside from my personal concerns about this subject (far better articulated by others in this thread), I have a problem with the way the Geocachers think we've treated them, without understanding what they did to our community first.

Christ that sounds picky, but there you go. The MA was awash with geocaching-promoting-bollocks first thing on Wednesday morning, and I nearly missed my train trying to get rid of it all.

So, while I'm pleased to see someone's using the weblog (!), I'm deleting Kaipath's entry now as it's a little neurotic for the MA's home page. I include it below so as not to be accused of censorship... :)

Holes

<HR>

<blockquote>Only came across this site yesterday...

Boy does it feel bad to find out you're not welcome. Before I go on, I must say that most people here are really friendly, and quite nice... it's not their fault I happened to join at a time of war between the Mod Ant's and Geocachers.

That said, *some* of the people on this website are the rudest, and most obscene (dare I say grotesque?) that I have ever met.

It is because of those people that I do not wish to have anything to do with this site. In the past 24 hours I had posted 1 misc. post, and 1 fieldnote about two seperate sites - both have now been deleted by me.

This weblog will be deleted by me in another 24 hours, if I can. I hope those who are responsible for stirring into flames what was a mere misunderstanding feel real proud of themselves - they should do: They're "big" boys now.</blockquote>
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index