The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
GeoCaching

209 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kaipaith
27 posts

Re: be our guest
Jan 23, 2003, 13:24
To be fair, I'm at a loss as to what a "Trash" cache is too - and I've spent a while since Cache Man's post looking on the navicache website trying to find out. I couldn't find any reference to a "Trash" cache.

I guess it could be two things...

1. A cache composed of trash - not very likely, unless it is a bin, which would be quite useful - pick up trash on the route, put in bin at the end.

2. A cache which encourages cleaning up as you go along.

As it happens, I know there are caches on geocaching.com that encourage cleaning up of the area... one of them is here... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14563

As you'll notice, it is physically located in Arizona, but it can be claimed from anywhere in the world (it is locationless). All that has to be done is to help provide resources to clean up an area around a cache.

I am also a little lost about the point "for the simple fact that Geocaching.com does promote "Trash" caches or any for that fact."

Any what? Any caches? I don't see what you mean, as caches are the sole purpose of the geocaching.com website. As a further point (earlier mentioned, but I will bring up again) "Cache In, Trash Out" is promoted on the front page of the Geocaching website - and users are invited to submit pictures of themselves doing so.

The same is not true for Navicache.

The argument that Geocaching.com treats users as dollar signs is also flawed, in the fact that the site is open to all users, whether or not they choose to subscribe. The subscription fee helps to fund the site, and, as an extra, members are given a few more features, like being able to download caches to a PDA.

The "feel" to the site can only be considered a personal matter. Personally, I prefer the feel of the site at geocaching.com, because *to me* it feels more professional. Others have another opinion, and they are welcome to it.

I've had a look through the navicache forums, and I will admit that there is a sense of community - but no less or more than Mod Ant's, or for that matter geocaching.com's - I've even noticed that many people post to both navicache and geocaching.com.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index