GeoCaching

209 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
capn_skully
capn_skully
4 posts

Re: GeoCaching
Jan 23, 2003, 00:30
This is really none of my business and I am sure my account will get deleted after this post. I would like to share an American's view of geocaching. I geocaching in the US and while I have only participated since last December it is an interesting hobby.

I have learned several things. First we seldom hide great big buckets, we never dig holes, we never place caches where they are easily found. Typically in the US we never hide caches at historical places or sensitive areas. For a historical landmark, a virtual cache would be created. The participant will visit the monument or statue. The virtual cacher will require the person visiting to answer questions about the monument so that it can be logged at the web site. So far I have hidden three real caches, they are typically left inside of a hollow log or stump or under some fallen timber. Never on private property, never near railroad tracks, never never at a historical site. While US history isn't as old as British history we still cherish it.

I am not here to sell anyone on becoming a geocacher. I only want to provide some understanding. There is enough room in the world for all of us to enjoy our pastimes with out getting into each other's knitting.

If you have any questions or need clarification please send me an email and I will be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Thank you for your time,
Gary (aka Capn_Skully)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index