209 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: GeoCaching
Jan 23, 2003, 06:54
"While US history isn't as old as British history we still cherish it. "

????? Not as old? There are certainly bits of it that come close. The Native Americans have been around there for quite some time you know.

It seems that in the UK the virtual cache at historic sites or sacred sites (depending upon your point of view) is not necessarily the norm. What we all do here is just that. We get the location and directions to sites and then we go and look at a place. We do tend to go a little further though and look at a sites relationship with landscape features and try to reason why.

It seems as if the GC people in the UK may now tend towards virtual caching at such places and perhaps even through information found on TMA may come up with some very interesting questions to ask. I hope so! TMA is obviously a public resource that has been built up over many years with the intention of allowing like minded people to venture out and to perhaps encourage others who wouldn't normally do so to get out there too. We just don't promise juggling balls at the end of the trail.

Once I found out that it was not letterboxing I withdrew my initial concern and ...erm ... verbosity, but still disagree with the physical cache idea.

As someone said, if a group were to decide that they would see how many beer cans they could hide around the country it would be no different from deliberately leaving anything else, lunch boxes and "buckets" included.

People might not find them, but what about animals? Some animals that play a key part in the balance of nature ar known for their tendencies to chew anything. Is it responsible to leave poisonous plastics around the countryside with no thought for the wildlife.

I will ask again. Who's going to go around and clean up when the 'sport' loses its attraction and becomes next years rubics cube?

Do you have a policy of last one out sweep the floor? I don't think so.

I think we all appreciate your wanting to get out and about in the countryside and see new things, but please, don't leave stuff behind ... not even a lunch box.

Tom
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index