The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
GeoCaching

209 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Teasel
18 posts

Re: Here come the posse
Jan 22, 2003, 15:57
Hmmm, well I guess it fits - 'fuck' is really, really old so it must be worthy. Strange though, the last time I called someone a 'twat' they got most offended... :-)

Anyway, to be serious for a second, could I urge anyone who does find a cache in a place where it's likely to result in damage to ancient monuments, to demand its removal using the link on the geocaching website. The rules on cache placing are very clear, but with over 40000 caches worldwide, it's possible that some managed to slip through.

Physically removing the cache yourself is a bad idea for two reasons. In the short term it is likely to increase the erosion in the immediate locality (up to, say, 20m), as people walk round and round in circles searching for it! In the longer term, if nobody is made aware of the inappropriateness of the location, it's likely that a replacement cache will be placed nearby (and be better hidden!).

Of course, some people will object on principle to lunchboxes being left all over the country, even if they never actually see one. However in general, geocachers try to be as invisible and low-impact as possible and would like to know quickly if a particular cache is causing particular problems.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index