GeoCaching

209 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

still don't get it, sorry
Jan 22, 2003, 15:43
I'm not speaking for anyone here other than myself, as there's a very diverse view amongst HHers as to what constitutes "sacredness". However, from my point of view, what you geocachers are doing is deliberate littering and frankly i consider that mildly profane. Not gonna start a jihad about it or anything, but there you have it.

I am of the view that there's more than enough non-biodegradable petrochemical-based litter unintentionally left in places i consider sacred; without geocachers arriving and leaving more bits of plastic (however well hidden).

I would not choose to secret away little caches of party favours in the great cathedrals and mosques of the world; because however well i hide these items, it is still disrespectful to a place that some consider sacred.

At the same time, i'm trying to impose my belief in the sacredness of the landscape on geocachers out there, but don't try to tell me that well-hidden litter somehow isn't litter, or that leaving litter at a sacred site is not in some way disrespectful to others who don't share your pursuit and like the landscape sans plastic.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index