The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
GeoCaching

209 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Reluctant Defender
8 posts

Not the time, nor the place, but
Jan 23, 2003, 15:22
since it appears to amuse the locals here, I'll have a go at it.
Jeremy Irish never claimed to come up with the idea for geocaching.com. The guy who started it hid a bucket in the woods with a can of beans in it, and posted the coordinates to a usenet newgroup he was active in. Soon others were finding his, and hiding their own. As it grew, it got too hard to keep track of them all just via newsgroup postings. One of the early players put up a basic webpage on his website, but it was still all updated manually. Jeremy was another early player with wedsite and database knowlege, and designed the site into what it is today. Without that website, I venture geocaching would have died out. Without geocaching.com, the founders of navicache would have never even heard of geocaching.
Navicache is a nice site, and Quinn (the site owner) is truly a nice guy. But for all intents, the site is only really useful to people in the Rochester, NY,USA area. Thats the only place it's really active. You say the Germans love it? well, I do see german caches on navicache (hard to tell how many, because navicache doesnt let you search by country outside the US) but every one I checked there was also listed on geocaching.com.
there are none, ZERO posts ever in the German forums at navicache, and the UK forums have had 10 postings in the last 6 months, and the last 6 of them were TMA related. If it were not for this mess here, there would have been 4 msg posted since June, and less the 70 posts total for the last few years. Compare that to geocaching.com's forums, that are coming up on 10,000 posts since the software was updated last year, and I think it's obvious to anyone what site represents geocaching in general.
Cache man is also wrong when he says navicache is banned. The word "navicache" in a post causes it to go into a que for moderator review before being posted, and thats ONLY because a user from there spammed our forums with dozens of foul-worded msgs denouncing geocaching.com, and promoting navicache. As you might of gathered, we consider this a family activity, and we allow our children to actively participate. Foul language is not allowed on our forums, and nothing that you wouldnt want your 9yr old to find is left in caches.
You all should give it a go, GPSr's are fairly cheap, and useful to you anyway, even without geocaching. I suspect you will find that geocaches are not as intrusive as you imagine, nor are they damaging sensitive areas as you fear, or else you would have already found them. You might even enjoy it, and I'm sure your kids will. Anything that gets the whole family out and about and enjoying themselves in the countryside is a good thing, in my book.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index