209 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Chrism
5 posts

Re: WTF!?!
Jan 22, 2003, 14:13
I think it is a genuine mistake.
I'm a cacher, pay my subs to English heritage & National trust etc,
I have three Kids, caching gets us out to places that locals know about, odd places, parks hills, you name it, is it's a scenic spot then there might be a cache there.
Dan & Pid are one end of the age curve, young free & single they do most of their caching at night( evenings etc).
Me I'm middle ofthe curve.
I enjoy the countryside, and wish to keep it accessible. I'm surprised by the agressive response off the forum boards, i note it's only a few voices, but even so it colours opinions really quickly.
It's easy to misunderstand other peoples motives especially if you have never met and share little common ground.
I visit a sacred place every week, but my sacred place is not acceptable to this site...it's a church!
If the definition of sacred place is so misunderstood what chance is there of understanding hobby, sport, religeon, politics, or just "enjoying the countryside".
As regards my sacred place. because it's in a town there are often youngsters siitting on teh steps in the graveyard, drinking beer, leaving crisp packets, that to my mind is littering.
The geocache that's there encourages people to see the graveyard and visit the tomb of a Waterloo generals relative, it's a virtual cache, no damage, nothing left, nothing taken, but it means others can enjoy the building that i hold sacred and appreciate the air of tranquility that I find there.

I hope this post doesn't offend, I only seek to create understanding of our different cultures, my mind is open to arguement, I'm willing to learn....I hope at least some of you are too?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index