Natural or Induced?

121 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Edited Aug 31, 2012, 13:34
Electric saws and trees
Aug 31, 2012, 13:09
Oh yeah, some of the best new panels have been uncovered only in the last decade or two and, compared to the 'old ones', they are not so badly eroded, so they're more interesting to the naked eye in broad daylight. Trouble is, once uncovered, they become exposed to the fierce elements in the winter and to the idiots. Or, more commonly, they're just neglected, getting quickly covered up again by the massive vegetation because the land's now barely managed. Also, in a heavily-forested country (as well as badly re-forested by the councils not precisely with native oak!), looking for sites can be a real nightmare. Last month I spent an hour trying to reach a panel which I knew was only 50 yards away but had to finally turn back with bleeding legs due to impenetrable 7-foot-tall brambles and fern. I'll soon be taking an electric saw with me everywhere even though I suspect I'm in danger of irreversibly freaking out the locals. So yes, lots remains hidden under the gorse; uncatalogued cupmarks like the ones you find are just so common too, especially in prehistoric 'hotspots' where there's other rock art. Things are improving though, with a few areas cleaned and made easy to visit etc and there's even a new rock art museum.

I agree with what you're saying, but here's a couple of things:

Have you checked the edge of the stone at Glascorrie's supposed arc, it might have been quarried, I've seen cases like that and I'm sure you have too. And incomplete multiple arcs (without the central cup) do exist but in the middle of panels as well as on the edges.

It's wicked that these conventions exist in so many distant spots around Europe (for example, see the identical Galician rosettes ie cupmarks inside a circle) and yet, other conventions differ.

The 2-3 groups I made above (hidden/public) was a way of setting some parameters for Galicia when taking dates into question. I know there are few weapons/stags in UK rock art but, and I think wrongly, *all* Galician rock art is dated to around 2000 BC *because* of the weapon panels; I'll show you some of the rock art near where I'm based where, curiously for our topic, researchers have always seen imported Wessex weapons.

http://castrosgalaicos.blogspot.com.es/2010/08/los-grabados-rupestres-en-los-castros.html

I wouldn't wish to be too indiscreet but, judging from your serious no-bullshit treatment of the subject matter and the way people use your first name when referring to you in this forum, did you take part in Beckensall's excellent recent book? And did we exchange emails a few years ago about a rock with cupmarks in Azerbaijan?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index