121 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Natural or Induced?
Aug 25, 2012, 18:07
Littlestone wrote:
Funnily enough, John Marco Allegro’s The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross: A Study of the Nature and Origins of Christianity within the Fertility Cults of the Ancient Near East came up recently in a conversation between a few oldies gathered round a kitchen table in Wales. It’s a book you’re probably acquainted with but if not it’s worth a read. It askes the fundamental question whether Jesus was a mushroom or not. I’m inclined to think he was, but one unsubstantiated theory (or state of mind) is as good or as bad as the next so take your choice.

On a more practical level I love mushrooms – from the first of the season’s £1,000 a-piece matsutake to those slimy little shimeji fellas. Best one ever though was a purple bozutake (monk mushroom) incomparable in flavour and probably now known to only a handful of aging Japanese. We don’t know about, or use, mushrooms nearly enough. Ditto seaweed :-)

My thread seems to have gone to the dogs and turned into a culinary topic.
When I said induced into a belief of the Afterlife I didn't mean by magic mushrooms or any other mind altering illegal substance but by people from afar who entered the UK and brought their beliefs with them. Still I'm not complaining as I did introduce fish into another thread so it's payback time!!! :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index