The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Natural or Induced?

121 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

DNA
Aug 28, 2012, 13:47
Things change so fast in genetics that I still keep a load of pdf's (from a couple of years ago) left to read, knowing they have probably already become obsolete, or at least, confirmed by new sampling. You know how Basque sampling has for years been part of a serious (even political) quest for some kind of lost grail. I try not to get involved in dna discussions as it's funny how passions always flare up, including people who have no idea about dna research.

I believe more wide-spread sampling needs to be made so as to refine the search, it's a bit like surveying people, pockets of populations may get ignored, though I know they try to include (most especially!) these as much as possible. Nothing better than isolated in-bred mountain villages!

Still, I do agree with you. Funny how Childe is now, with genetic research, at least in continental studies, being vindicated after years of 'no migrations, only ideas spreading' trends in archaeology. Where does that leave Luigi-Scorza's (not sure about the spelling) theories in your opinion?

I also wonder in what way you are suggesting that Oppenheimer and Sykes have been left trailing. Pity not to be able to be more specific but as far as I remember, Sykes' r1b research in the british isles did not contradict migration (?). Apart from that, in his saxons-vikings book, various places (Shetlands, Wales...) appeared rather more unique.

Cheers
AQ
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index