Natural or Induced?

121 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: DNA
Aug 28, 2012, 14:42
AQ , I think aDna and geneaology can only help get rid of some forms of racism . Even today in eastern Europe in particular archaeology “informs “ racist beliefs but when they start to learn from the science rather than what they feel or believe they might find it a bit more difficult to be so sure of their “ancestry “ .
Sykes and Oppenheimer are basically out of touch , Oppenheimer still thinks that R1b dates from the refugia and is the cro -magnon haplogroup whilst suggesting that the reason for the predominance of R1b in Britain is because that was the haplogroup of the post Pleistocene locals . This ignores the European dimension where there clearly was a movement of the R1b from the east much later than the immediate post ice age and also would mean that the original Britis foragers were of the same haplogroup of peoples from the east with the rest of the European haplogroups the meat in the sandwich more importantly it ignore the temporal dimension R1b wasn't around until long after the refugia . To be fair he wasn't to know that at the time of writing but he hasn't kept up and may still possibly continue to support that view . More technically the amateurs would attack him for his limited use of markers (6) leading to problematic conclusions . Intersting paper http://www.jogg.info/32/campbell.pdf
Sykes isn't quite so bad but he did rely on the dodgy Cheddar man results as the sole basis for continuity .
Cavalli-Sforza is a grand old man of genetics and had a big influence on Renfrew but once again he has been overtaken by events /findings , I couldn't comment on his linguistic stuff .
As you say early days and much will change but we have come quite a long way in a short space of time .
Hope that makes sense and I havn't waffled .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index