tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Natural or Induced? Pickering to Wheeldale
Aug 27, 2012, 20:04
thesweetcheat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Plentiful Beaker pottery doesn't necessary mean thousands of migrant people though, does it? It only takes a few people to bring the ideas of the type of pottery and the method of cremation, which can then be adopted by the "indigenous" people. I'm not suggesting there was no movement of people, but I don't think there's any evidence to show that the existing pre-Beaker population of the south of England was replaced by an incoming "race".

We don't have the aDNA evidence from Britain ,yet , but we do for the continent and it shows an incursion of haplogroup R1b along with the beaker package providing the final dominant group that replaced much of the Neolithic haplogroups numerically , reflecting the present distribution . As R1b is dominant in Britain today as well as Europe , it could mean that only the pottery and culture came here and not the genes and the Neolithic population here were mainly R1b , but this seems very unlikely as R1b has been shown to have from the east and why should the Neolithic Brits avoid what the rest of Europe experienced and probably wanted .

Interesting stuff George, thanks. I'm obviously not up to date - must read less-dusty books! Be interesting to know if there are any parts of Britain where the R1b group is not dominant.

TSC ,Not unlike digital technlogy it's moving fast . Just as RC dating transformed out understanding this stuff will do the same . We already are capable of talking in generations from DNA e.g. it wasn't the "ancestors "deposited in WKLB , it was the parents or if not , people a generation older than builders .Next step is discovering where they and their ancestors came from and how they were related .
Western Britain /"celtic " areas have a greater percentage of R1b the eastern Britain has had a greater influence from the later IA European incursions some of which would have been R1b too but also including a wider mix .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index