Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Natural or Induced? Pickering to Wheeldale
Aug 28, 2012, 11:47
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

TSC ,Not unlike digital technlogy it's moving fast . Just as RC dating transformed out understanding this stuff will do the same . We already are capable of talking in generations from DNA e.g. it wasn't the "ancestors "deposited in WKLB , it was the parents or if not , people a generation older than builders .Next step is discovering where they and their ancestors came from and how they were related .

That's the bit I'm really keen on knowning, how they were related particularly in family terms. If the WKLB was only used for a very short space of time after its initial build, rather than the 1000 years or so that it was around before being sealed up, then it 'suggests' just a family use, but is that realistic? It seems odd to me that a 'family only' tomb should be left open for so long after the last burial.

Piggot mentions that the secondary infill overlay a blocking stone in the SW chamber and some collapsed walling suggesting that there was some sort of closure after the primary deposits . The familial story will be interesting although unlikelty to match Cladh Hallan where one of the skeletons was a composite of others with none of the components sharing the same mother ,(the father we don't know about) .

For those who haven't read it this is EH's WKLB advice for Teachers! Great photo on opening page though.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/avebury-teachers-kit/information_sheet_for_west_kennet_longbarrow.pdf

10 to 30 years of use does seem unrealistic to me George as we're only talking one lifespan in the Neolithic.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index