92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: Votive offerings
Sep 09, 2009, 22:06
Branwen wrote:
Is it the same thing if you go to a cathedral as a tourist and can't get pics cos they are having some silly religious rite in the way of your photo opportunity? What... cathedrals aren't built to be used by tourists?

No, I don't go to prehistoric sites for the photo opportunity, I go to visit the site and see what's there, enjoy the atmosphere, etc. I do take photos, but as a record for myself, it's not the main purpose for going. I would enjoy a visit to Boscawen-Un with or without a camera. I post pics on here so that other people can see sites they may not get to visit themselves.

As it happens I do visit cathedrals sometimes, I am interested in architecture and some are very beautiful places to visit. I usually (have to) pay to get in and frankly if the cathedrals relied on the religious celebrants alone to keep going they would fall down. I don't therefore need to feel guilty about going there as a "tourist". There's a sign outside Gloucester cathedral which mentions that much money is needed to put right centuries of neglect. Neglect by whom? The church has owned the building during the whole of the period, so surely if there's been neglect it's of their own making!

I have no problem with people going to sites and/or churches to indulge in whatever religion they wish to, as long as it isn't a religion based on power, subjugation, patriarchal hegemonies, etc (if there is such a thing). I wouldn't stop them or disturb their service. However, I don't see much courtesy being extended the other way, at least not in the instance I gave. I can live without weekend pagans, thanks.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index