92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2009, 18:41
Re: Votive offerings
Sep 06, 2009, 14:41
Branwen, I've read you're last posts here with total interest though at first didn't feel there was much I could add.

When I first became interested in, shall we say 'paying homage to Nature at the turning of the seasons', I did start to leave a small bio-degradeable offering somewhere along my walk - perhaps in some woods but rarely, if ever, at an ancient site ... except once. One autumn equinox a few years back I was out near Silbury and left some blueberries on the top of a couple of fence posts in sight of Silbury. The odd thing was that, as I did so, the wind picked just for a few moments then dropped again.

Since then I have started to look at the whole 'offering' thing differently - there are many ways of making an offering e.g. sort some books out for the Oxfam shop but include one that you don't really want to give away.

The other method of making 'an offering' which I have found to be generally beneficial is to consciously let go of perceived grievances and genuinely (from the heart) wish well and good fortune to the person you feel has wronged you.

So perhaps when moving non degradeable offerings left at ancient/sacred sites - wait until no-one is around to get upset; remove them discreetly and wish good fortune and good health for whoever left them there.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index