Votive offerings

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: Votive offerings
Sep 01, 2009, 12:01
That's very insightful Mr S. The self aggrandisement is the motivation, I'm fairly sure. And Jane, as no-one ever panders to the belief systems of Devout Atheists I guess you'll have to start a religion based on the revilement of cellophane before it becomes a faux pas to leave the stuff lying about. Still, I'd rather people are leaving tat at sites than hacking off chunks off them or covering them in paint etc.

I'm not sure where my own variety of offerings would fit in here. They're subconscious ones, usually a lens cap, an LED, a cable release, lens cloth, a filter, spare battery or whatever. Recently a whole zoom lens. Nearly every time, something or other is left behind.

In my defence, I don't seem to leave them at the sites, usually it's at least a distance away, sometimes hundred of metres, so no danger of contaminating the archaeological record. I choose to suspect The Spirits Which Abide have taken an interest in photography, and coax the zips open on my bag to get bits of stuff. Tinkers they are. It's just as well they aren't real.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index