Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2009, 13:40
Re: Votive offerings
Sep 03, 2009, 13:38
I agree with the above!

And if that's not vague enough... ;) (Sorry - bit of a catch-all reply cos I'm in a hurry!)

As is well documented, I have a fondness for wells/springs/etc and do indeed believe there is some truth in the healing qualities of some of the waters, due, as mentioned above, to the minerals found therein.

In J Meyrick's "A Pilgrims Guide to the Holy Wells of Cornwall", there is a table toward the back featuring the cures for the associated wells. Among these cures are fairly rational ones such as for bowels, skin, teeth, eyes and ulcers, and, interestingly, one was famous for giving "increased vigour"! (The Lady Well in Mevagissey, if anyone's interested!)

As for "tat"... well... pffft! Don't get me started!

I know I'm repeating much of what's been said, but what the hey...

Wells, I feel, are mostly fair game, if only the offerings were more sensible. Ribbons, pieces of clothing, notes, corn dollies and the like are all well and good, but I don't think people, generally, know why things are in the trees and just want to join in. Maybe education is required.

Last time I visited Madron well in Cornwall, I was horrified to see the tree by what is known as the "Wishing Well" (not to be confused with the holy well itself) adorned with, mostly, toilet paper (maybe someone had piles?) and plastic wrappers! I know the toilet paper is pretty biodegradable, but when there's so much of it, it stops being respectful and becomes an eyesore, especially when it's been there a day or 2. I started to remove as much as I could, but there was so much I'd have been there all night if I wanted to tidy the place properly! The holy well itself got away fairly lightly, cos not so many people know where it is, but in one nearby tree were tied an entire set of female underwear! Someone obviously enjoyed themselves. ;) Or they'd pooped themselves. I didn't check.

I know there's lots of wells that are extremely popular and heavily visited (eg the Cloutie/Clootie Well - http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/munlochy/clootiewell/index.html - in Scotland) but in contrast to Swallowhead Spring, where I've seen all manner of non-biodegradeable shite left, some wells are at least continuing a tradition, as ugly as it may appear! At worst, wells can be normally ignored and left to rot, but when they're deliberately defaced like Swallowhead it's disgusting. I'd advise against burning what I've seen there in the past, cos it'd probably cause an environmental disaster!

And on the subject of crutches left at wells, we visited one fairly recently in North Wales where there were a pile of them - some were REALLY old! St Winifrede's Well in Holywell, Flintshire. A beautiful well, in a fabulous old chapel. Sadly completely hijacked by Catholics, but at least they're looking after it!

My god I'm rambling! Sorry! Don't normally get the chance to talk about wells nowadays! :D

Nearly forgot the point! Which is that yes - a lot of wells - or even wells generally - do have a long history (or prehistory? Stop me!) of being "dressed", or for having tributes left in memory of loved ones, or in the hope of a cure, which is why I think that, properly done, offerings can actually enhance the visit.

But that's wells. Megalithic sites - particularly when nobody knows what the site was built for in teh first place! - don't tend to have such traditions. Generally. On the whole. I'm certain there will be the odd one that is the exception to the rule.

Christ... Back to it!

G x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index