Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2009, 17:54
Re: Votive offerings
Sep 07, 2009, 14:42
Branwen wrote:

Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.

Not all cultures think that is the end of it. To travellers (cairds at least, not sure about the romany/gypsies, though I think I heard they have something similar) forgiveness is a curse. They say, "I forgive you. May the gods be kind". This is due to the sacrifice it involves in letting go of something when you had no closure or resolution otherwise. Both your weirds (like karma) are judged. Had you done all you could before forgiving them? Was your motive to let go, or deliberately see them judged by a higher power? Had the other party any justifications for making no apology or recompense? You sacrifice your ego and let the universe decide, even if it means the universe finds the other person deserving of no punishment because of extenuating circumstances. When you have a belief like that, you tend to sort things out, and see your own self more honestly, though.

Thank you Branwen, interesting but far too complicated for a simple person such as myself. I don't think I mentioned the word 'forgiveness' - what I wrote was this:

The other method of making 'an offering' which I have found to be generally beneficial is to consciously let go of perceived grievances and genuinely (from the heart) wish well and good fortune to the person you feel has wronged you.

I just can't be arsed holding on to stuff that so quickly slips into past-tense. I prefer to live in the present.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index