The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Votive offerings

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Branwen
824 posts

Re: Votive offerings
Sep 07, 2009, 13:16
I can see your point. I've known caretakers of sites in the past who came and went without ever being seen. I'd still like to see some kind of notice board educating people about either the origin or meanings of their offerings, or pointing out less enviromentally damaging alternatives. If people knew their wish wasn't going to be fulfilled till their offering went back to the earth, they might think twice about leaving something with a half life of thousands of years, for instance.

BTW. You're instinctive understanding of sacrifice and devotion offerings is very good.

Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.

Not all cultures think that is the end of it. To travellers (cairds at least, not sure about the romany/gypsies, though I think I heard they have something similar) forgiveness is a curse. They say, "I forgive you. May the gods be kind". This is due to the sacrifice it involves in letting go of something when you had no closure or resolution otherwise. Both your weirds (like karma) are judged. Had you done all you could before forgiving them? Was your motive to let go, or deliberately see them judged by a higher power? Had the other party any justifications for making no apology or recompense? You sacrifice your ego and let the universe decide, even if it means the universe finds the other person deserving of no punishment because of extenuating circumstances. When you have a belief like that, you tend to sort things out, and see your own self more honestly, though.

By the way, if you want a good offering, electric scotland has a great tablet recipe, which you can add heather honey and a dash of whisky to. Seems to work well for me, and it's a sacrifice not to scarf it down myself.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index