Votive offerings

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Votive offerings
Sep 03, 2009, 12:48
I really enjoyed reading your account of clearing away 'wishes' - like your son said wishes are invisible. I'm with you all the way on clearing away anything that is non degradable as, apart from anything else, it can often be hazardous to birds and wildlife.

For the 'tat' there can be no excuse but may I suggest that the tradition of fixing rags/ribbons to trees near wells or caves has been around for a long time. I am just dipping in and out of a book called The Caves of the Sun (The Origin of Mythology) by Adrian Bailey.

In the chapter on deluge myths and caves, the author goes on to say:

"The sacred trees of many cultures were nourished by underground rivers and sacred trees stand beside sacred springs. In the Highlands of Scotland, at the 'Clootie (cloth) Well' near Munlochy on the Black Isle, the trees around the holy spring are today and every day hung with thousands of rags, for each donation of cloth represents new life, continuing good health and relief from illness"

Supersticious claptrap perhaps ... or a tattered remnant of an ancient DNA memory buried somewhere in the psyche of some individuals.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index