92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Re: Votive offerings
Sep 08, 2009, 04:27
megadread wrote:
Very emotive subject this innit and there will never be a suitable solution in my opinion.

Hi megadread,

Aye - and I probably get over-emotive on it. But to let it exist as an "approved" practice is to give it credence through non-action (apathy).

It may be of interest that down here in deepest darkest Devon, the practice of "votive offering" is largely unknown - and thus I am MUCH more relaxed when I'm out and about on Dartmoor than I am when visiting the "chart topper" sites like Avebury and WKLB.

I find it interesting that a high percentage of these occurrences take place in VERY public (and VERY accessible) sites, only a short step from the car. I haven't been into the middle of Dartmoor for a while, but I'm betting that the half a dozen rivers that rise on the northern Moor are not suffering the same attachments of arrogance that the trees around Swallowhead have to suffer. And as for the strange folk who turned a bush on the Ridgeway by the Sanctuary carpark into a "shrine" complete with LIMPETS....

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index