92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Votive offerings
Sep 08, 2009, 12:07
Squid Tempest wrote:
I rather like the idea of a version of the country code for these things.

I always thought that CASPN had it pretty well nailed:

http://www.cornishancientsites.com/spiritualthreat.htm

I totally agree with the main concern in all this being that what one person might think is perfectly acceptable and "what the site is for" is completely at odds with another. I mean, I've heard of people burying crystals at sites, believing that they are "doing the right thing". And it was only in the last couple of years that wooden stakes with "Jesus" written on them were being found driven into the ground at some sites in Cornwall! Again, the people responsible probably believed they were "doing the right thing". As do people who burn candles against the stones, cover stones with chalk drawings, or leave rubber balls as offerings...

I'm all for keeping the sites free of stuff altogether if necessary, but do have some sympathy for those that do so in a discreet and sensitive fashion (ie small and/or biodegradeable/organic). And, of course, some nice clouties at wells. ;)

I will always remove anything that I feel will damage or interfere with the site (such as candles, empty tealight holders, toy cars and plastic dolls, crisp wrappers, beer cans and the such) on my visits.

G x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index