92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Sep 01, 2009, 13:01
Re: Votive offerings
Sep 01, 2009, 12:48
moss wrote:
You can't argue with the two main secularists on this site, they get into such a blithering rage (not speechless though) ;)
But I would like to add that it there was a 'pie chart' on the subject of religion, which exists in all its forms everywhere, how much would the secularists, or atheists if you prefer, occupy of the said pie chart?
And, if a 'new' religion is coming into being ( they all had to have a beginning) are the atheists willing to lay down the creed ;)

That's hard to argue with, so I'll try...

For me it's not a spirituality issue it's a socio-political one. Stuff is joint heritage ergo it's not up for personal exploitation without assent of the other stakeholders - which I choose not to give. (I'm thinking of metal detecting here as well, the issue is identical).

I have a second level of grumpiness to air as well. EH, NT et al, all in the role of "guardians" are too darn focussed on the interests of "takers" and not enough on the immaculati (those of us that don't exploit places - and that actually involves MOST Pagans).

Maybe those of us that just want to look and not touch should band together and demand OUR rights. We could suggest for a start that every public information board should tell people to leave nothing, nowt, zilch, as to do so is effing bad manners to everyone else. How about that? We might even ask to get praised and have millions of pounds spent on our interests like metal detectorists do or to be listened to and courted as much as the more demanding and noisy elements of certain religious groups do - we vastly outnumber both those groups together after all. Whatever happened to the idea of fair representation?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index