The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Votive offerings

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Votive offerings
Aug 31, 2009, 22:00
Difficult one this.... I like the fact that many of our ancient sites still have serious meaning for many people - judging by what I've seen with mine own eyes - and offer an alternative to 'establishment' religions. That, in other words, they are still relevant to the inhabitants of these islands after many millennia. If it works for you and no-one else is affected [which, let's face it, is not the case with the 'establishment' religions, which want to take over the world] why not take advantage? I must confess I haven't yet myself, but I certainly deeply enjoy being at the sites.......

The trouble - I think - is when it stops being a personal thing, the leaving of small symbolic tokens - a coin left on an orthostat, a corn doll within a chamber, a ribbon on a nearby tree etc - and enters the realm of fashion, following trends, for want of better words. Like the student getting out the ouija board because he's so enlightened, man. Oh please! Devalues the whole thing.

Possibly the most touching offering I've ever seen was a single red rose left at the Druid Temple.... such raw emotion in so simple an offering. Pure class, though I shudder at what that person may have been going through. Do we wish to stop things such as this? Don't think so. But the umpteen candles inside West Kennet? Hmm. Perhaps. The latter seems too orchestrated to me, the former an impulsive act of human expressive, non violent emotion. More of that, please.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index