92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Votive offerings
Sep 08, 2009, 11:24
Branwen wrote:
It's wood and cotton, and I don't bury them on "sites" where they might disturb anything. I buried one on a hilltop in the middle of nowhere, and one goes in my garden whenever I move. I just thought they are a tiny biodegradable alternative to barbie dolls if you HAD to do it. (The effort of making one yourself would mean you were less likely to be putting them on trees every weekend too).

Same with the tat. If you could persuade everybody who leaves tat on a tree just to leave just one green thread, that might be mistaken for lichen from a distance, wouldn't that be a huge improvement without stopping their beliefs? Or to drop a tiny piece of white quartz into wells and springs, maybe, instead of leaving wishes on tree.

Perhaps there should be a page on courtesy at ancient sites which could become a standard practice which would still allow people to have their beliefs, but in a way that takes into account the country code, even if it is just telling people to take their stuff home with them.

http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/interest/little-coffins.html

Ah OK, sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were burying them in stone circles etc.

I rather like the idea of a version of the country code for these things.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index