92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2009, 15:19
Re: Votive offerings
Sep 03, 2009, 12:04
I once was caught up in an arguement at West Kennet because one particular day there was loads of tat and shite in and around the barrow (dead flowers,tea lights,joss sticks,dripped wax,dirty hankies,ribbon,beer cans.blah..blah) so I started collecting it up in a bag (that suprize,suprize was blowing about).
There were 2 adult women and a little girl (10ish) and a boy (5ish) sitting outside talking and smoking.
Anyhoo,I was picking up all the "rubbish" with my youngest (6ish at the time)when the boy and girl came to see what we were doing.
They asked if we were stealing.
Let me say at this point,any coins we find are put in the charity boxes at either the Red Lion or Waggon and Horses,collecting for RLNI,Pebbles,Guide Dogs.
I said No and told them we were cleaning up the mess left by others so everyone else can enjoy the area.At this the girl started screaching and ran to her mum.Mum turns up and asks why I'm stealing "The Wishes".My younger son starts giggling and says "Wishes !? Are you mental ? That's not wishes..wishes are invisible..this is rubbish !" (Yes.I have straight talking children,some might call precocious.)
A long arguement then went on with the mother telling me how stupid I was and how I was spoiling the vibes and that I was talking away the heart of the barrow.
I explained that I was infact quite inteleegent and that that I was talking away rubbish in my bag (you can look in and see it,where as vibes are invisible)and I was freeing the heart from all the blockages of crap left behind by the litter bugs (I could see them,I was looking at them).
She said she had come along way to see the barrow and I had spoilt the day completely.
I thanked her for coming and told her that she better phone and book ahead next time she wanted to come just incase she got all the way here and found that the barrow had been re sealed because of the constant vandalism and litter (sorry Wishes) being left by other visitors.
She told me she would phone the police because I was a thief.I suggested she drove to Marlborough to get a signal on her phone while I carried on litter picking.
At this point the girl hit me on the back and kicked my leg.My son told her "that was assult!" and he would tell the police when they turn up "if they turn up".
Needless to say after more cross words the family stropped off and as the went back down the path had to pass an old couple with a bin bag picking up "wishes" from the grass and fence on the way who were grumbling about the animals who had made the mess for them to pick up...

Bad vibes maaaaan.
:o/
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index