The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Votive offerings

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
megadread
1202 posts

Re: Votive offerings
Sep 08, 2009, 00:59
Very emotive subject this innit and there will never be a suitable solution in my opinion.
Myself, now and then, i burn a little incense sometimes whilst i have a little half hour of "me" time , i'm not a pagan and i do it less nowadays.
At Avebury during the summer solstice i sat with a few friends by the obelisk marker and burnt a little, i also did the same on top of WKLB, never inside though, it's disrespectful imo, not everyone likes their visit to be remembered by someone elses stench do they plus there were chicks inside yet again (feathered variety) not that that stopped everyone doing so, it seems nature takes second place to some people, well they have travelled quite a way to do their little ceremony and why should a few helpless bird stop them eh.

The day after summer solstice i went up to WKLB around 1pm and found the chamber full of a group doing some bloody ritual or other, in a ring inside the main chamber with linked hands preventing anyone else having access, i was ready to have a right rant at them but decided to listen to the crap they were spewing instead to see what it was all about, well anyway after they finished the group "leader" thanked me for my patience, bit late for the people who'd got bored and already left though without being able to have a good look around.
That night once again i cleared out the tat giving the candles that were left to some travellers.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index