local tv: metal detectorists vs archaeologists
This topic is locked

207 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oi, PAS!
May 31, 2007, 07:18
I see PAS has had a go at Heritage Action (you know, the one outside organisation that has run a consistent campaign urging detectorists and landowners to support them, and still does).

Our counter is "speculative" apparently. Hmmmm, well at least they didn't dare say its wrong (half an artefact per detectorist per week! They'd have a job!) and they didn't deny the accuracy of the "broad picture" it paints, which is its stated sole purpose.

Oh, and we're "naive" to think banning, like Ireland, is a viable option! Great PAS, but we haven't proposed that. We've proposed LICENSING. Like NORTHERN IRELAND! I'd be obliged if you'd read what we have said before saying members of the public who are concerned about the resource are naive.

Finally, we seem to be considered at fault for not saying the Scheme is a rip-roaring success. Well I'm sorry, but we're just ordinary people and taxpayers with a main focus on resource conservation. Unlike both detectorists and PAS we have no vested interest in claiming everything is going just fine. Its been ten years and most detectorists entirely ignore PAS. That's fact. If we wish to say that's long enough and that something new needs to be done - we will.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index