This topic is locked

207 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Paul Barford
40 posts

Re: To save anyone the trouble....
May 29, 2007, 19:59
cymap wrote:
No , I think you miss the point. You have no evidence whatsoever of how many artifacts are being found yet your little counter ticks up. I attack the numbers as they are not even conservative they are flawed , its as simple as that. I personally find it offensive that you say without question we would attack the numbers so dont come the innocent about getting personal either.

Hi Cymap, sorry I was not around to answer your question, but a chap's got work to do. The figures are not mine, they are the fruit of Heritage Action's hard work and deep deliberations. They ran them past me as an arch-critical type of bloke well- known in some circles to be very interested in a sceptical kind of way when numbers are quoted in connection with metal detecting. I tried to pull their calculations to pieces but ended up concluding that they were on the conservative side. The precise methodology of how these figures were obtained will be set down in print in the near future when we can all examine and debate the premises.

Now if you "metal detectorists" want to say HA's figures are "flawed", you are perfectly at liberty to produce your own rival counter - say on UKDN, UKDFD or EFID's websites (and of course stating the reasoning behind this new estimate). But even if your numbers are half, a third or a quarter that shown on the HA's counter they STILL raise the same awkward questions don't they?

What is "offensive" about the assumption that the moment "metal detectorists" see these rather uncomfortable facts put on public view (at last), their first reaction would be to "attack the figures"? Well you just did it yourself for goodness sake ("I attack the numbers as they are not even conservative they are flawed , its as simple as that" - duh...).

Kevmar why don't you want to tell the nice people here why you would fight licencing so vehemently?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index