Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: local tv: metal detectorists vs archaeologists
May 28, 2007, 06:06
kevmar wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
" But bear in mind he targetted what he knew was a prehistoric mound. As per typical. Legally, as it wasn't scheduled.;)

You posted ''probably prehistoric'' your changing fact for fiction again Nigel.

If you're getting into semantics then, " ... he targetted what he knew was a probable prehistoric mound ..." is the same as " ... he targetted what he believed was a prehistoric mound ..."

Does that make it the right thing to do? I don't think so. Knowing or believing it to be prehistoric should mean that a responsible person would leave it alone and pass on the information to a museum or university. They shouldn't go digging it up, thus destroying context and devaluing the item (real scientific value that is, not its ebay value.)

If someone is MDing in a field where no such lumps or bumps exist then fair enough, but they should still stop when they find something significant and record its position with a very accurate GPS (not a hand held Garmin for example that's accurate to only 5m) and not continue to empty the field.

We all know there are some very responsible MDers out there and that a certain number give the good ones a bad name. Personally, I don't know the ratio between the two, so I won't even speculate on that point.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index