This topic is locked

207 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: local tv: metal detectorists vs archaeologists
May 16, 2007, 08:48
Managed to catch this before going out...

Yeah - I have to say that the programme itself seemed fairly heavily biased toward pro-detectoring, but at he same time, I had no sympathy whatsoever toward the treasure hunters!

They maintained that it was the thrill of the hunt, and not the financial gain, but at the end of the day, all the whinging was about lack of recompense! Recognition for the finds was mentioned, in fairness, but money kept cropping up an inordinate amount for someone maintaining money wasn't a factor...

Reminded me of the old foxhunters' justification. They publicly harp(ed) on about how it was all about the thrill of the chase but privately about how they love(d) killing foxes*. Detectorists do it because they want to find something valuable. Why else would they do it? I suppose that much is obvious, and the problem really is what they do with it afterwards... Although I did find the words "that's lost its context now" each time a "find" was shown...

G x

* Past tense used in brackets as they are no longer legally allowed to do this but still somehow manage to get away with it! Don't get me started! ;o)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index