207 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: local tv: metal detectorists vs archaeologists
May 29, 2007, 16:53
kevmar wrote:
Of course there are areas that should only be excavated by archaeologists,but bear in mind,some of these places were not known about untill chanced upon by a detectorist that duly reported things otherwise they might never have been found ,or perhaps after any information they could have provided is destroyed by erosion, natural or chemical.

Which is exactly why Heritage Action didn't originally want any kind of ban. But needing a licence wouldn't stop responsible detectorists from continuing to do their good work. And, as I'm sure a lot of people do, I wonder why you don't want to have to get a licence?

kevmar wrote:
The corner of a field that 'might' have something of importance that's made out of bounds on a hunch I'm against.

Well, a 'hunch' is a matter of opinion. An educated opinion based on knowledge of ancient sites is something different. But surely it's a similar (educated) 'hunch' that makes you want to detect there?

kevmar wrote:
It's the fact that you and your 'supporter 'want detecting banned for no good reason that angers me.

Clearly, those of us that support regulation of detecting don't see it as 'no good reason' - but you deny our reason and statistics. So this discussion is pointless, as you'll always maintain there's no reason for it, while as long as 'we' believe there is evidence that a vast number of detectorists are irresponsible, we'll believe there IS a VERY good reason for regulation!

love

Moth
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index