This topic is locked

207 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Paul Barford
40 posts

Re: To save anyone the trouble....
May 30, 2007, 12:55
Paulus wrote:
it was this which did it for me: "don't moan about "feeling insulted", get on with making a case.
Paul Barford wrote:

Well, that was a reply to:
cymap wrote:
I personally find it offensive that you say without question we would attack the numbers so dont come the innocent about getting personal either

I take that to mean "I take this personally, so I am going to get personal" - as he and Kevmar did if you look above. This kind of back-biting and ad hominem arguments tends to dominate in any discussion in which "detectorists" are involved when uncomfortable questions are raised.

I asked cymap to make a case, ie address the figures rather than an "opponent's" motives ("twisted agenda" I think was one of the phrases used) for producing them.

And if it were kept as a discussion about the figures and their interpretation and significance I assure you I would be as happy as (happier than) the next man. Sadly, past (long) experience suggests it's not going to happen. I'd love to be proven wrong here and - just for once - hear some REAL arguments backed up with verifiable facts from the pro-collecting lobby instead of the stock glib phrases and anecdotal "evidence" which is all they have been able to offer in such discussions these past eight years.

But I am still not convinced that TMA is the best forum for such an in-depth exploration. There are however on the Internet about a dozen or so forums dedicated specifically to artefact hunting and collecting - including UKDN, EFID, UKDFD, Minelabsowners, Rally UK. There is no reason why HA's figures have to be discussed here instead of on one of them, there are far more "detectorists" there than here and an opportunity for more people to join in. All they have to do is post a link to the place they choose to discuss it among their own and invite interested TMAers over there to get their point of view. And those TMAers who don't want to hear or object to the very idea o\f talking about it don't have to go there. Where's the problem?

[quote="Paulus"]
If you disagree with such a right, equally, keep metal-detector issues off this forum. [?quote]
Actually, it was not ME that brought "metal detector issues" to this Forum.... I noticed Kevmar having a go at Nigel and decided to add a bit of support.

[quote="Paulus"]
The logic in what you've just said, taken further, says, "I can say what I want about you here, but you've no right of redress."
No, actually I have a fair deal MORE I want to say about artefact hunting and collecting, a bookfull in fact, but most people's eyes tend to glaze over, so I was rather thinking about other forum members. But hey, if you really want.....

[quote="Paulus"] You might be surprised to find, therefore, that I have issues against certain metal-detectorists misself
Just "certain ones"? Well, what REALLY surprises me, to be honest, is that anyone can look at how we are "managing" our archaeological heritage by encouraging its exploitation for collectables in the way we do and yet not ask what the dickens is going on. So would it solve the problem of the exploitation of archaeological sites in Iraq for collectables to merely set up a voluntary Portable Antiquities Scheme there? And one in Cambodia for the little buddha heads and another in Nigeria...

Kevmar's "control freak" comment was about those who support licencing artefact hunting - is it a label you would apply to anyone who tries to stop Iraqis digging huge holes in Hatra or Isisn? Have you seen the aerial photos recently? And if you'd like to claim there is a difference, and think TMA is the place for thrashing out these issues, I for one would be very glad to hear you tell us what it is.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index