Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stone shifting - was it just about effort?

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Stone shifting - was it just about effort?
Jan 20, 2004, 18:08
Can't be bothered to find the right place in the thread for this, but while listening to the 'Sons of TC Lethbridge' album 'A Giant' (great stuff!!) I've just been thinking of summat Julian sez that's relevant to this concept of 'the ancients' not necessarily using the most efficient way to move stones.

I don't always agree with Julian, but I do tend to agree with his vision of 'the ancients' as 'Forward Thinking Motherfuckers' and I reckon they'd always be using what they had to do the job most efficiently.

Given the sheer time involved in big undertakings like Avebury, Callanish, Brogar & St*nehenge etc even using the 'easy' way, I don't reckon they would've made it any harder than it had to be or, importantly, take any longer than it had to. I'm sure they'd want the place finished as soon as poss!!

While acknowledging the thinking behind the 'making it difficult as part of a kind of religious (in its wide sense) purgatorial pilgrimage-hardship-ritual-type-thang', as someone said - it's human nature and it's not like doing it 'the easy way' would've necessarily removed all 'spirituality' (for want of a better word) and 'ritual' from the process anyway.

Again as someone said, we'll never know how they actually DID do it, but my money'd be on whichever way they discovered that'd make it easiest. (Incidentally, in the Stonehengineers web text - which WILL appear eventually - we only say that they MIGHT have done it Gordon's way, coz it's simple AND efficient.)

love

Moth
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index