Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stone shifting - was it just about effort?

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Re: Capitalism
Jan 20, 2004, 11:26
It's not just about consumer goods n' gadgets.... just the cost of living. I've never been much of a consumer for goods and can live well enuff without TVs, videos, playstations and the like (although I'd miss not having a stereo) if need be. My step-daughter is 9 and isn't particularly into brands and goods either.

The thing that drives necessity is just the basics of life... somewhere to live, paying bills and feeding n' clothing ourselves. Either you rent a home or buy one. If you rent, you pay ridiculous amounts of money to live in someone else's house... if you buy, you're shackled down by a mortgage that you need to be in employment to get in the first place. The whole system is geared to anchoring you down and keeping you in place. See how they laced into the Travellers in the 80's n' 90's.

Of course, if you're static, you're also more likely to accumulate goods. If you're moving around, you can't be billed and advertised to. The system doesn't want you to live cheaply, 'cos there's no profit in it. They've got us stitched up all ways!

Just gonna nip home n' change into my combats and find my black flag...
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index