Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stone shifting - was it just about effort?

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

everyone knows an ant can't.............
Jan 19, 2004, 20:26
"In otherwords, there are societies to this day that build stone circles, they do it by dragging stones".
to quote BN

I can recall similar things being written about carving & erecting the Easter Island heads - it can't be done with stone axes, they can't be moved & erected with the materials available...then a determined Norwegian hero called Thor Hyadahl (sorry about the spelling) went and did it.

Not being at the conference in Newport I can't really comment on what was said (step in BN).

I have no problem with the practical investigation of moving stones but to dismiss folk as idiots just because they put forward a differing view to your own is just plain daft especially as the act of dragging large stones over distances is obviously still being practised.

For me anyone who had the brass balls and vision to create the huge monuments of the Neolithic using antler picks and stone tools must have had a decent sized workforce to call upon and therefore could have quite possibly dragged a stone over a distance.

One person pushing a car up a hill is unlikely but 20 enthusiastic people could make easy work of it.

I do not dismiss your theories and I'll be keenly watching your progress, but even if your project is a sucess, which I hope it is, it doesn't mean that -that's the way it was done.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index